Here are a few of the garden-related events going on in the Bay Area this weekend:
- Ploughshares Nursery in Alameda has a free workshop on container gardening Saturday, 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM. You'll learn how to select containers, how to choose a good potting mix or make your own, how to plant and care for your container gardens, which plants are best for containers, and more.
- Saturday and Sunday are the last two days of the Fiber & Dye Exhibit at the UC Botanical Garden. Take the self-guided tour throughout the collection highlighting plants used for fibers and dyes. See dye samples made by textile students of California College of the Arts. The exhibit is free with Garden admission, 10 AM to 4 PM. You can also take in a hands-on weaving demonstration on Saturday from 1 PM to 2:30 PM. Meet master weavers from the Golden Gate Weavers Guild as they show you how to weave. A demonstration will be followed by an opportunity to sit at a loom and try for yourself! All levels welcome. Registration required. $15 General Public, $10 Members; price includes Garden admission and Fiber & Dye exhibit.
- Russian River Rose Company in Healdsburg is open to the public this weekend for “A Happy Rose Garden 'How to.’” You can watch a planting demo and discussion of rose care at 10 AM and 2 PM (demo only at 2 PM on Sunday). Learn how to prepare and tend your rose garden to be its most beautiful, with tips on planting, fertilizing, etc. Nursery roses for sale. Open 10-5.
Here are a few plant sales going on this weekend:
- Sloat Garden Centers has deciduous fruit trees (5 gal.) for $29.99, Iceberg roses (1 gal.) for $7.99, salvias (1 gal.) for $4.99, and summer-flowering bulbs for 25% off. You can also get a coupon for a 3-inch herb with any purchase. Prices good through April 8.
- Berkeley Hort has rhododendrons on sale for 30% off.